How to Prepare for Surgery
Prior to Your Procedure
- Specific individual instructions will be provided by your physician before you come to the center.
- You should not eat or drink anything after midnight on the night prior to your procedure, unless you are instructed otherwise.
- Each patient must sign a consent form before the procedure. Patients under 18 years of age must have a parent or guardian sign the consent form.
- Please leave all jewelry and valuables at home.
- Wear comfortable clothing and shoes that are easy to take off and put on.
- Please bring a list of your current medications and your insurance or Medicare ID cards.
- Be prepared to make a payment/co-payment at the time of your procedure.
- Please arrange to have someone stay at the center during your procedure. You will not be able to drive afterward.
When You Arrive
- Please notify the receptionist of your arrival.
- Your insurance/Medicare card will be copied and returned to you.
- You will be asked to complete your health history forms and to make a payment/co-payment.
- A nurse will talk with you and record your vital signs, allergies and other patient information.
- An I.V. will be started so that we may give you intravenous medication to help you relax and feel more comfortable.
- Your family/driver will wait in our comfortable waiting room until you are discharged.
- If you use a CPAP, we encourage you to bring your unit with you.
After Your Procedure
- Your surgeon will provide specific instructions for care while recovering at home. In the event of difficulty, please call your surgeon.
- For the first 24 hours following surgery, do not engage in strenuous activities. Do not drink any alcoholic beverages, drive or make any critical decisions.
- A nurse from Surgical Center at Millburn will call you within a day or two to evaluate how you are recovering at home. You will be asked to complete a questionnaire about the care you received. Your comments will enable us to continue to improve our services.
- After your procedure, you will be receiving a survey by our third party vendor, Press Ganey. We appreciate if you can complete the survey.